In this series, I will highlight specific players and teams from the gameweek just gone who either posted extremely promising or poor statistics. A lot of the focus will be directed towards players and teams who under/over performed on a weekly basis when comparing output against stats.
The xG Delta stat is the difference between actual goals and expected goals (xG). A high minus figure indicates underachievement and a high plus figure indicates overachievement.
xG Delta Underachievers
Paul Pogba (-0.83)
David McGoldrick (-0.63)
xG Delta Overachievers
Teemu Pukki (+2.16)
Ruben Neves (+0.98)
Erik Lamela + Douglas Luiz (+0.97)
Southampton (Underachievement) – Outperformed Liverpool in terms of xG (1.89 to 1.51) but lost by 1-2.
Spurs (Overachievement) – Scored 2 goals despite only having an xG of 0.11. In comparison, Man City had an xG of 3.23 but also scored 2 goals.
Total Goal Attempts
Defenders – Digne, O’Connell, Ritchie (3)
Midfielders – Sterling, McGinn (6), Bernardo Silva, Mount, H. Wilson (5)
Forwards – Pukki (7), Barnes (5)
Defenders – Elmohamady (5)
Midfielders – De Bruyne (9), Grealish (6)
Forwards – C. Wilson (5), Giroud (3)
- Ceballos the most advanced Arsenal midfielder.
- Burnley very attacking – 6 players in opposition half, McNeil positioned as far forward as the strikers.
- McGinn the most advanced Villa midfielder, only just behind Wesley.
- Trossard the most advanced Brighton player.
- Coleman + Digne playing narrower than usual, taking up more ‘inverted full-back’ positions rather than stretching pitch width.
- Cantwell drifted very centrally with Lewis providing width on the left-hand side for Norwich.
- Southampton lacked width on the right-hand side with Valery not pushing forwards as much as usual as well as both Adams and Redmond drifting over to the left-hand side.
- Salah the most advanced Liverpool player by a long way.
- Man City had 8 players in the opposition half! (Only GK and 2 CB’s not).
- De Bruyne the most advanced Man City player.
- Spurs had 10 players in their own half! Kane was only just past the halfway line.
- Sheffield United very attacking, with almost a front 5 (2 ST’s, 2 WB’s + 1 CM).
- Mount + Pulisic both more advanced than Giroud.
- Maddison similar position to Vardy. Fuchs didn’t match Chilwell’s attacking positioning.
- Dendoncker positioned just ahead of Jimenez.
- Man Utd very well balanced across all positions, maintaining structure well.
Other Standout Stats
- Most Shots: Man City (30), Aston Villa (22), Burnley (18)
- Pukki top amongst forwards for: Goals, goal attempts, big chances, touches in penalty area, shots in the box and shots on target.
- Most Crosses: De Bruyne (18), Alexander-Arnold (14)
- Enda Stevens top for defenders touches in final third (38)
- Sterling – most touches in penalty area amongst midfielders (13)
Written by Nick Pasquet
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nick_FootballPA
Stats sourced from fantasyfootballscout.co.uk and understat.com