In this series, I will highlight specific players and teams from the gameweek just gone who either posted extremely promising or poor statistics. A lot of the focus will be directed towards players and teams who under/over performed on a weekly basis when comparing output against stats.
The xG Delta stat is the difference between actual goals and expected goals (xG). A high minus figure indicates underachievement and a high plus figure indicates overachievement.
Image Credit: sportinglife.com
xG Delta Underachievers
Marcus Rashford (-0.97)
Chris Wood (-0.92)
Will Hughes (-0.80)
xG Delta Overachievers
Tammy Abraham (+1.78)
Harvey Barnes (+0.96)
Patrick Van Aanholt + Ollie McBurnie (+0.93)
Manchester United (Underachievement) 1-2 Crystal Palace (Overachievement) – United had an xG of 2.24 compared to Palace’s 0.68 yet scored 1 less goal as a result of not being clinical enough.
Aston Villa 2-0 Everton (Underachievement) – Everton recorded an xG of 1.26 but still failed to add to their poor return of 1 goal from 3 games. They had the chances in this game, but simply wasted them.
Total Goal Attempts
Defenders – Alexander-Arnold, Robertson (3)
Midfielders – Son (6), Salah, Mount, Moura, Neves, Barkley (5)
Forwards – Deulofeu (7), Firmino (6), A.Gray (5)
Defenders – Alexander-Arnold (6), Zinchenko, Young (5)
Midfielders – Trossard (7), Lanzini (6)
Forwards – Aguero, A.Gray, Ings (3)
- Richarlison the most advanced Everton player.
- Aarons very narrow, occupying an ‘inverted full-back’ position.
- Chelsea, Man United, Liverpool and Spurs all had 8 players in the opposition half!
- Dan James drifted very centrally, with Rashford slightly further forward than Martial.
- Baldock very advanced in the RWB position for Sheffield United.
- Luke Freeman the most advanced Sheffield United player.
- Maddison positioned right next to Vardy.
- Alexander-Arnold and Robertson very similar positions on respective sides of pitch.
- Willock more advanced than Ceballos.
- Pepe the most advanced Arsenal player.
- Wilson and King far more advanced than Fraser.
- Sterling and Aguero equally advanced.
- Son the most advanced Spurs player.
Other Standout Stats
- Most Shots: Liverpool (25), Chelsea and Watford (23), Man United (22).
- Most Crosses: Alexander-Arnold and Holebas (13), McNeil (9).
- Most touches in final third amongst defenders: Alexander-Arnold (59).
- Most touches in opposition penalty area amongst defenders: Robertson (6).
- Haller had the highest xG out of all players (1.97)
- Dan James matched Salah for shots in the box (4).
- Felipe Anderson matched Salah for opposition penalty area touches (11).
Written by Nick Pasquet
Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nick_FootballPA
Stats sourced from fantasyfootballscout.co.uk and understat.com